Sailing guide Croatia
The island of Murter lies in the northwestern part of the Sibenik archipelago. It is separated from the mainland by the Murter Channel, which is spanned by a bridge at its narrowest part, at the settlement of Tisno. The highest point of the island is Raduc (125 m).The island has four settlements, Betina, Jezera, Murter and Tisno.
The oldest inhabitants were the lllyrians. In the Middle Ages, the island was called Srimac. There are numerous bays on the southwestern coast, including Kosirina which is a suitable anchorage for small boats, especially when the bora blows.
BETINA - A well-known fishing village at the northern entrance to the Murter Channel. The settlement was established in the 1st century by refugees from the Turkish invasions. The Church of sv. Frane (St. Francis) was built in 1601 and later expanded several times. The lllyrian and later Roman settlement of Colentum once stood on the Gradina knoll. The medieval church has been preserved. Berths are available at the knee-shaped breakwater with a depth of 1.5 m. Parallel to the breakwater lies a pier which protects the inner harbour for small local boats. The depth of the sea at the pier is up to 1.8 m. Due to the strong ebb tide, sailboats should not berth here. Betina Marina (022) 434497 - There are around 180 berths, 60 spaces for dry storage, a repair shop, a 20-ton lift and a 26-ton travel-lift. The depth of the sea is 6 m.
JEZERA - A settlement with a port on a bay of the same name on the southeastern part of the island. The name Jezera (Lakes) originates from numerous ponds which appear in the karstic hollows after heavy rains. The settlement is protected by a breakwater which also protects the entire port. Behind the breakwater lies a marina with six piers. The only alternatives to the marina are a harbour on the northern coast or a knee-shaped pier with a depth of up to 3 m. ACI Jezera Marina (022) 439-315 - It lies on the southern part of the bay and offers 220 berths, 55 spaces for dry storage, a repair shop, a 10-ton lift and a launch ramp. The depth of the sea is 5 m.
MURTER TOWN - A fishing town on the northwestern part of the island. The town has spread from the old core of Veliko Selo, which lies 500 rn from the coast, to the wide Hramina Bay. Its inhabitants are the owners of most of the land on the Kornati islands. The Kornati National Park Office is located in Murter. All information regarding the Kornati National Park is available at the following phone number: (022) 434-662. Murter was first mentioned by its present name in 1715. In the 13s century, it was called Veliko Selo. The medieval Church of sv. Mihovil (St. Michael) was reconstructed in 1770. The hilltop Church of sv. Rok (St. Roch) was built in 1760. The Hramina Bay is always full of tourist and fishing boats. Space is hard to find even during the winter, so boats can only berth in the marina or anchor in the western part of the bay. Hramina Marina (022) 434-411 - There are 500 berths at piers, 250 spaces for dry storage, a repair shop, a 15-ton lift, a 50-ton travel-lift and a launch ramp. The depth of the sea is 4 m. Vinici Marina (022) 435-299 - Part of a shipyard complex with repair shops.