Sailing guide Croatia
This island in the Gulf of Kvarner is the largest island on the Adriatic. The northwestern part is lower, more wooded, more fertile, and more densely populated. The southeastern part is higher (Obzova, 569 m) and mostly barren. The northeastern coast is steep, not very rugged and quite dangerous for sailors when the bora blows. Two small lakes provide water for the nearby settlements. All large settlements except Dobrinj lie on the coast.
The main economic activities are agriculture, wine and fruit growing, fishing, shipbuilding, petrochemical industry, and tourism. The island's traffic connections are good. A bridge connects its northern part to the mainland, a regular ferry line connects it with the island of Cres, and a seasonal one with the island of Rab. The Rijeka airport is located near Omisalj. There is an oil terminal nearby. There are many prehistoric finds on the island of Krk. The oldest known inhabitants were the lllyrian tribe of Liburni. In the Roman era, the settlement of Curicum stood on the site of the present town of Krk. The island then came under Byzantine rule, followed by Venetian rule, and Croatian rule. From 1797 on, it followed the same fate as the rest of Dalmatia and Istria.
The island was an important centre of the Glagolitic culture. The most prominent of the numerous Glagolitic monuments are the Baska Tablet, the Vrbnik Statute, and the Vrbnik Missal. On the island of Krk, the Glagolitic script was used well into the first half of the 19th century. The art historical heritage of Krk ranges from the Romanesque period to Early Christianity. The national costume, local crafts, songs and the old Cakavian dialect are also very interesting.
BASKA - A settlement and a climatic bathing area along a wide bay on the southern part of the island of Krk in the fertile valley of the Suha Ricina stream. A tourist complex was built next to the serried coastal part of town. A 2-km-long sandy beach with clear sea lines the bay in a semi-circle. The bottom is sandy and it gradually increases in depth, so it is suitable for children and non-swimmers. Baska is a town with a long tradition of tourism. The first hotel with a beach was opened as early as 1906. There is an ethnological museum collection in Baska. In the summer months, Baska is connected with the island of Rab by the Baska-Lopar (island Rab) ferry line. On a hill lie the ruins of a medieval settlement which was burnt down by the Venetians in 1380. The Parish Church of the Holy Trinity contains the preserved early Romanesque capitals. There are several Romanesque churches in the area. A strong bora causes waves in the port. There is a ferry landing at the beginning of the breakwater. Boats can tie up on the inner side of the breakwater or at the pier in the western part. The inner harbour with a depth between 1.5 and 3 m is the safest, but it is often occupied by local boats. Larger boats can anchor 400 m southeast of the breakwater, where the sea is between 20 and 30 m deep.
KRK TOWN - The administrative and economic centre of the island, and a port, fishing and above all tourist town. The old town centre has retained its original clustered layout with a network of narrow streets. Of the oldest settlements on the island, Krk is the only one that has stood on the coast from the very beginning. In recent times, it spread beyond the town wall to the area where a settlement of beautiful villas and other buildings is developing. Tourism began to develop in 1866, when a beautification society was established. In addition to charming sandy beaches, hotels and campsites, the main attractions are its cultural monuments, summer holidays and summer events. Krk is a settlement with an impressive history. In antiquity it was called Curicum. A few traces of the Roman municipium, such as a spa and a mosaic, can still be seen. The medieval town was surrounded by a wall, which has been preserved, and a defence system, the most prominent parts of which are the Frankopan castle and the guard tower. In the 4tt century, it was mentioned as the seat of a diocese. The Early Christian basilica was built in the 5th or 6th century. The present Romanesque cathedral dates back to the beginning of the 12th century and has been reconstructed and enlarged several times. The cathedral complex includes the remains of an ancient spa, the Church of sv. Marija (St. Mary), the Romanesque basilica of sv. Kvirin (St. Quirinus) from the 10th or 11th century, the Early Christian baptistery and the Chapel of St. Barbara. The Franciscan and the Benedictine monasteries are from the 13th century. Other points of historical interest include certain houses, the defence wall along the sea and three town gates from the 15th and 16th centuries.
A strong jugo often causes large waves in the port, which is nevertheless protected from other winds. Both piers are often occupied by tourist ships. There are mooring buoys for small boats east of the western pier. Large boats can anchor and moor stem-to at the western pier. There is a small shipyard in the port.
MALINSKA - This settlement on the northwestern coast of the island of Krk developed along a large bay. Its pleasant climate, sandy beaches and Mediterranean vegetation prompted the construction of all types of hotels and outbuildings in the hotel settlement of Haludovo. There are diverse tourist facilities. Malinska was built at a new port in the beginning of the 19th century. Tourism began to develop in 1909, when a beautification society was established.
The port lies in the eastern part of the bay. where large boats can anchor. There are berths on both sides of the pier, along the quay east of the pier and in the harbour in the southern part of the port. Facilities include a small lift and a launch ramp. There are moorings and electricity and water hook-ups along the coast. There are mooring buoys behind the large breakwater. Space is limited due to the permanently berthed boats. The port is protected from the jugo and the bora, but exposed to the northwesterly wind. In front of the settlement of Haludovo lies a small harbour for smaller boats and a small pier with a depth of 2 m on the inner side and 5 m on the outer.
NJIVICE - A settlement on the northwestern coast of the island of Krk. This former fishing village was first mentioned in the 15th century, and is now a tourist town offering various opportunities for recreation. The small port is intended for boats with a draught of up to 2 m and has a launch ramp. Boats can berth alongside on both sides of the breakwater. The port is protected from the jugo and the bora. Larger boats can anchor north of Njivice at a depth of 30 m.
OMISALJ - A beautiful on a wide bay on the northern part of the island of Krk. The old part stands on an 80-m-high rocky hill above the sea, while the new part with a hotel complex developed along the bay. The town is attractive to tourists, but the development of tourism is hindered by the petrochemical industry on the peninsula and a tanker terminal in the bay. Along with Krk, Omisalj is the oldest settlement on the island, in the Middle Ages, it was a fortified town of the Frankopan Princes. The square with the town loggia from the 16th century, and the Romanesque Parish Church of sv. Marija (St. Mary), which was reconstructed and enlarged in the 16th century, have both been preserved in the old town core. The edge of the old part of town affords a beautiful view of the Gulf of Kvarner all the way to Rijeka. In front of the Jadran Hotel lies a small harbour for yachts with a draught of up to 1.5 or 2 m. The harbour is protected from all winds except those from the north-northwest, which cause large waves. In the oval Pesja Bay lies a local marina, which is occupied by boats belonging to the sports club, but there are a few available berths in the summer. Pesja nautika Sports Harbour (051) 841-458 - There are 200 berths, 60 spaces for dry storage, a 4.5-ton lift and a launch ramp for boats up to 5 m long. The greatest depth of the sea is 3.5 m.
PORAT - A fishing village with a port along the wide Malinska Bay. The locals offer accommodation in rooms and apartments. The medieval Church of sv. Marija Magdalena (St. Mary Magdalene) is from the middle of the 16th century, and the present form of the adjoining monastery dates back to the 17th century. The new breakwater has not yet been completed, but it has berths for boats with a draught of up to 2 m. The small harbor is well-protected from all winds, but the bora can cause waves.
PUNAT - The second largest settlement on the island of Krk lies on it southwestern coast on a bay of the same name. Punat used ti known for its shipyard, but now it is famous for one of th largest and best-equipped marinas on the Adriatic. Its beautifi beaches, pleasant surroundings and accommodation facilitie have transformed Punat into an attractive tourist town, whic developed around the old town core. Punat's cultural attraction are greatly enhanced by the vicinity of the islet of Kosljun with a monastery. One of the oldest buildings is Stari tos, an olive oil mill from the 18th century. At the end of the Puntarska draga Bay stands the unusually-shaped pre-Romanesque Church of sv. Ounat (St. Donatus) from the 1st century, one of Punat's oldest monuments.
The entrance to the large Punat Bay is only 2.7 m deep and around 180 m wide. The bora and the southwesterly wind can prevent the passage. There is a shipyard in the town of Punat. The bay is protected from all sides, but the bora can be very strong. Punat Marina (051) 654-111 - There are 880 berths, 300 spaces for dry storage, a repair shop, a 5-ton and a 10-ton lift, a 30-ton travel lift and a launch ramp.
STARA BASKA - A settlement on the southwestern coast of the island of Krk on a bay of the same name. Its peaceful location and beaches are ideal for family tourism. Behind the village rises a rocky ridge with a network of marked trails leading to the Obzova peak. The Stara Baska Bay is wide and there is a small harbour in the settlement. The bay is protected from the bora, while the harbour is protected from the jugo. The tide is noticeable. Boats can moor alongside the head of a small pier at a depth of 2 or 3 m, or anchor towards the southeast and tie up stern-to at the pier or the shore.
VRBNIK - A very picturesque old settlement on the eastern side of the island of Krk. The old part sits on top of a 50-m-high precipitous cliff above the sea, while the new part surrounds a steep street that leads to a small harbour. The Vrbnik Plain behind the settlement is covered with vineyards which produce the Vrbnicka zlahtina wine. There is a beach in the Zgribica Bay. The settlement was first mentioned in 1100 and has retained its medieval appearance. In that period it was surrounded by a defence wall, whose remains are still visible. In 1388, its statute was written in the Glagolitic script. The settlement is characterised by the preserved folk architecture. The Church of sv. Marija (St. Mary) is originally a pre-Romanesque structure, but it was reconstructed several times. The Renaissance bell tower dates back to 1527. A particular attraction of the town is the library of the Vitezic brothers, which contains over 15,000 volumes. The harbour is protected from all winds. Berths are available on the inner side of the breakwater and at the head of the pier. When the bora blows, berths is unreliable and entering and leaving the harbour can be dangerous.