Cooking on a boat can be cramped, and cleaning the kitchen is no fun, but if you really want to immerse yourself in the Dalmatian lifestyle, cooking Šalša is the most Dalmatian thing to do.
When you find yourself in a small town somewhere in Dalmatia, go find a market and buy 1 kg of home grown tomatoes, 3-4 cloves of garlic, home made olive oil, and any herbs you can find (thyme, rosemary, basil).
- Skin the tomatoes by placing them in boiling water for a couple of minutes.
- In a large pan simmer garlic in olive oil until yellow, and add the tomatoes and a little bit of sugar.
- Cover the pan and let it cook for a long time over a light flame.
- When you see the oil on top and your Šalša has a consistency of a paste add the herbs and let that simmer for a couple of minutes, and its ready to serve.
- Serve it with pasta, or as a side to grilled fish or meat.
Šalša is the distillation of the Mediterranean lifestyle, it`s a mellow process that takes simple ingredients, heat and time, making it is a kind of mediation.
The most important thing to know when cooking šalša is that everyone makes the best šalša, and no two are the same. Since this deceptively simple dish depends on the content of the pantry and how the cook is feeling.